Grimston, Saxelbye & Shoby Parish Council


Held MONDAY 28th September 2020 @ 19.30 via Zoom


Present: Chair - Cllr Etta Madocks Wright, Cllr Rupert Marsh, Cllr Richard Easom, Cllr Tony Lomas, Cllr Fleur Read, District Cllr Ronan Browne for Frisby Ward, Clerk Janice Kemp and 6 members of the public.


  1. Apologies from Cllr Joe Orson Leader of Melton Borough Council
  2. Cllr Madocks Wright welcomed everyone to the meeting and briefed the protocols for the on-line meeting, including the information that the meeting would be recorded.
  3. Updates from Ward Councillor, Ronan Browne included that MBC are now holding face to face appointments. On the local Government proposed reorganisation the local MPs have written to the Secretary of State to express their opposition to the proposal, and concern that this would take away local contact. Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic there may be a rethink of the proposals.

In relation to the southern section of the Melton by-pass, funding has been declined by LCC to build the Southern Section but Homes England and the Government are keen they have a change of mind and take up the grant offer. The developer Davidson's has stated they are fully committed to the road being built and MBC will do all they can to get all parties to a position where hopefully the road goes ahead. If LCC do not take the grant the road will happen but over a longer period and in sections.

  1. There were no questions or comments raised during the Public
  2. A Declaration of Interest on an item on the agenda was supplied by Cllr Lomas regarding the planning application 20/00989/FULHH.
  3. The Councillors unanimously approved the minutes of the meeting of 24th August 2020 and these were signed by Cllr Madocks Wright.


  1. Matters Arising from the Minutes of 24.08.2020
  2. The Village Green land registration update – no further information from Mr Layzell-Smith of Hunters Law, chasing email sent 31st August 2020.
  3. GRC Tribunal response for CR/2020/0006; Haydn David Wakefield vs Melton Borough Council Appeal against the Black Horse ACV

The Parish Council have, as second responders, submitted comments on 14.09.2020. Mr H Wakefield has 14 days to respond, this deadline is 29.09.2020.

  1. The Community Heartbeat have transferred the Saxelbye phone box to the Parish Council but with the £1 cheque being stopped by the bank we need to pay again to finalise this.
  2. A thank you was sent to Simon Downward for his painting of the Grimston phone kiosk.
  3. The Bus stops have been cleaned by LCC and the ivy cleared by Clerk Kemp at the Bus Stop on the green as part of the Great British September Clean.
  4. Cllr Madocks Wright has spoken with some of the parents of children in Grimston, expressing concern on their safety when on the roads.
  5. Cllr Marsh has reported the concern on long lorries in Saxelbye to the Highways Department and will report back at the next meeting.
  6. Cllr Madocks Wright has reported the poor condition of the manhole cover in Saxelbye Park to the Highways Department who have advised BT and will update at the next meeting.
  7. Cllr Marsh’s query over the brightness levels of garden lighting in Saxelbye has been handed over to be progressed by the Clerk.


  1. Matters arising
  2. There have been no requests for information following the publishing on the noticeboard and website, of the Notice of public rights and publication of Annual Governance and Accounts return (AGAR), from 25th August to 7th October 2020.
  3. The community group, formed in response to the Black Horse Asset of Community Value second mortarium, are meeting regularly
  4. Clarification is waited regarding the Act of remembrance at Grimston War Memorial on 11th November 2020. Cllr Madocks Wright is in contact with the Vicar. Clerk Kemp to organise a wreath from The British Legion in Melton Mowbray. Cllr Lomas will attend to the weeds around the Memorial.
  5. The hedge in the play area will be cut as part of the hedge cutting season at the same time as Perkins Lane. This was an agenda point and Clerk Kemp has also had a phone call from a member of the public asking that this is done. Cllr Easom to organise with Hyslops to get the work done.
  6. Planning Matters.
  7. 20/00448/FUL Construction of 3 timber stables and store room at Woodland View,  Saxelbye Pastures Saxelbye, the site was visited Saturday 12th  September and comments submitted with 4 councillors in support.
  8. 20/00989/FULHH Proposed double storey side extension to dwelling at  Shoby Lodge Farm, Loughborough Road, Shoby. The site was visited 21st September by 3 councillors.  Cllr Lomas was removed to the Zoom waiting room during this section. Comments submitted 25th September with 4 councillors in support.
  9. Update on current planning applications

20/00842/TCA - The Old School House, 8 Main Street, Grimston – Tree Pollarding – comments submitted, tree work completed.

20/00418/FUL Stable Opposite 73 Main Street Grimston application withdrawn 18.09.2020, no reason given.

                                                20/00656/FUL – Saxelbye Dressage  application approved with 4 conditions.

  1. Six Hills Garden village development to be added to the agenda


  1. Correspondence including

Cllr Madocks Wright attended LRALC Chairman training 10th September. Of note to the Council are the following: apologies to be put in writing to the Clerk (e.g. email);  6-9 months of unallocated reserves are highly recommended; the precept increases should be detailed by £ and not %; Councillors must sign the code of conduct; the waiting room on zoom or physically leaving the room must occur if there are any pecuniary interests as seen in practice at this meeting; Governance and internal audits should take place – Clerk Kemp has this in place; Each page of the minutes requires signing; the time of the end of the meeting needs recording; items of a HR nature should be in private.

To have a set agenda item section for Updates from Ward and Borough Councillors as introduced at this meeting and the Chairman or Clerk to speak with the press where applicable.

  • It was unanimously agreed that the Highways survey be completed by the Chairman and Clerk
  • BT openzone have shown which postcodes and the number of premises which will not have fibre availability. Clerk Kemp to follow up to get accurate information on this. The email correspondence on this topic was requested by a member of the public during the meeting and sent to them. It was agreed that this is to remain an agenda topic. There is a universal service obligation, a government scheme to supply 10MB to people, this is not the case in some of the parish.
  • The Councillors unanimously agreed not to progress Snow wardens, with community support for each other in place and that this is not down to one person.
  • Village Life has been printed the first time since Feb 2020 by Mr Petty, a thank you was given to him.
  • For information the MBC The Corporate Strategy 2020 – 2024 sets out the Council’s focus and aspirations over the next 4 years and is available on their website. Cllr Browne added there was a greater focus on environment and that it is a pragmatic strategy.
  • A press release saying that Melton is the happiest place to live was noted - Melton has been voted the happiest place to live in Leicestershire, with life satisfaction levels at an all-time high. A study carried out by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) shows that Melton was the highest scoring area of Leicestershire for Life Satisfaction.
  • A Defibrillator status update was given with everything running as it should be. It was unanimously agreed to report by exception only.
  • The meeting was made aware of the new NHS People’s council A brand new independent advisory body for the Trust - no action to take.
  • The Councillors unanimously agreed not to progress Coffee connect - Funded through the National Lottery Community Fund, they offer free take away hot drinks in a safe, informal and friendly space with the purpose of tackling loneliness and isolation.
  • Building Better Hospitals for the Future briefing had been received. As each household will have their opportunity to have their say, it was unanimously agreed that there would be no feedback as a Parish Council.


  1. Website Arrangements update and WCAG 2.1 compliance deadline.

LRALC training is not currently required as the new website will be compliant.

2 commune proposal was unanimously accepted to progress with the costs detailed as Year 1 costs of £250 +vat set up and £250 +vat hosting, support and annual licence costs and to register and manage as the new web address. Year 2 costs of £275 + vat.


  1. Finance
    1. Financial update 1st August to 31st August 2020. 5p interest on deposit account, now stands at £2,145.92.

As of 6th September, the current account stood at £4,360.40. It was noted that  no cheques came out of this account due to HSBC stopping the cheques approved for payment at the last meeting – this was because the cheque book issued had security issues and no one from HSBC contacted the Parish council to explain this.

Second instalment of Precept received 25.09.2020 of £3,200.

Outstanding cheque of £125 to Saxelbye PCC from 23.06.2020 will be followed up by Cllr Marsh.


Submission of 2021/22 precept is required before 15th January 2021. It was agreed to have a session on the budget at 26th October meeting with sign off of submission on 30th November meeting, giving a further date (if required) of 11th January meeting. To help with this an expenditure against budget will be available at the October meeting.

Councillors were asked to submit their budget discussion points to Clerk before the next meeting.


  1. Payments for approval, August payments to be resubmitted.







Bookkeeping and year end accounting training taken 03.03.2020


original chq stopped by HSBC


Chairmans training taken on 10.09.2020


combine with chq above

BDG mowing contractors

Mowing for July


original chq stopped by HSBC, combine with August

BDG mowing contractors

Mowing for August


combine with above

Community Heartbeat

£1 cost for Saxelby Telephone kiosk


Transfer ownership to Parish council, orignal chq stopped by HSBC


Electricity invoice for July lighting


original chq stopped by HSBC, combine with August


Electricity invoice for August lighting


combine with above


street lighting maintenance 1/4 ending 30/09




Nett Salary July, August & September




PAYE for Clerk salary for July, August & September




  1. It was noted that the PAYE scheme currently used by the Council is not operating anymore and so a new PAYE scheme will need to be set up. Clerk to action
  2. HSBC letter to confirm tax status has been received ref: Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act FATCA, which is to report financial assets owned by USA persons to the USA tax authority. LRALC advice on this was asked and the Clerk has been advised to ask HSBC why this is required before returning any documentation.
  3. It was unanimously approved to add the Clerk and Chairman to the list of signatories. A new mandate will be prepared and signed off. The wording below is from the mandate form and a summary of the discussions.

The bank account will continue with HSBC UK Bank and the Bank is authorised to:

Pay all cheques and act on other instructions for payment signed on behalf of the Council by any 2 signatories.

Deliver any item held on behalf of the Council by the Bank in safe keeping against the written instructions receipt or instructions of any 2 signatories.

Accept any signatory as fully empowered to act on behalf of the Council in any other transaction with the Bank e.g. any signatory can ask why the cheque book had been stopped.

Accept the Proper Officer / Parish Clerk as fully empowered on behalf of the Council to enter into any time any agreement for or relating to electronic and / or telephone banking services of any kind whatsoever, and to delegate the operation of the Services as set in the terms and conditions governing the services and the Council acknowledges that the Bank shall be entitled to act upon all instructions received in respect of the Services until notified otherwise in writing by the Council. For example the Clerk is able to set up internet banking. The system of authorisation of BACS is to be confirmed.

That the Parish Clerk is authorised to supply the Bank as and when with lists of persons authorised to sign, give receipts and act on behalf of the Council, and that the Bank may rely on such lists.

  1. VAT return is outstanding.
  1. Any Other Business and agenda points for next meeting

Budget 2021 /2022 at next meeting

Standing orders to be updated

Clarification of the topic of cars parking on pavements, currently under Government consultation with the recommendation due in 2021.

Do Farm shops need planning permission or is it under permitted development? – Clerk to ask MBC.


Date and Venue of the next Meeting – 26th October 2020 on line.

Parish Meetings 2020 30th November – these will be held either in the Parishes’ Village Halls or by online arrangements.

Parish Meetings 2021 dates – January 11th, February 22nd, March 29th

Annual Parish Meeting April 12th 2021

Annual Parish Council Meeting AGM May 17th 2021

The meeting closed at 20.59



Chair to sign the minutes as approved


Print name





© 2017 Stuart Inkley Computer Services. All Rights Reserved.